Friday, April 20, 2007

Wikipedia and Dictionaries

I am guilty of using Wikipedia as a source. I had looked up a definition of wing warping. This was before my English class was warned about the credibility Wikipedia has. I already had a good idea what this technique was and I thought the explanation of wing warping was much better than anything I could have ever put together. Personally, I have always loved the Wikipedia page, but I do realize a different encyclopedia could be more accurate and trustworthy. This page is just convenient because it’s free and online ready to use. Instead of quoting Wikipedia for the final paper, I think I will change this source to Dictionary.com.


Dictionary.com has helped me already also. I have found it to always be accurate. Dictionaries are a good source to use as often as you need to. I used it to look up the meaning of ailerons. Although I already knew what this word was, it is something hard to explain is so few and exact words.

I also found more helpful information on Wikipedia when I looked up the Wright Flyer. The article was on the Wright Flyer I and I think it is amazing. I found it to be very descriptive and would be very helpful while writing about the plane and the brother’s first flights. I don’t think we are supposed to quote Wikipedia in our final paper, but I would still recommend this article to anyone. I have recently come across a Wikipedia article that was inaccurate when I was researching John Glenn for a different project, so like my English teacher I will also advise you to be careful with this website.


"Ailerons." The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. 14 March 2007. <
http://www.dictionary.referance.com/browse/ailerons>

Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. "Wight Flyer." 17 April 2007. 18 April 2007. <
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wright_Flyer>

Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. "Wing Warping." 3 Feb. 2007. 6 Feb. 2007. <
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_warping>

No comments: