Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Plagiarism?

The source that helped me out the most was The Wright Story located at http://wright-brothers.org/History/Wright%20Story/wright%20story.htm. It is an online source, but it has given me exactly what I have needed. The web site begins at the Wright brother’s childhood and tells detailed information about their lives. I like the web site because, unlike most books, everything is straight forward and to the point. It even helped with all my power point pictures that I used. They have a link on their main page to give you plenty of pictures of the Wright family and of the brother’s work. Luckily I found this web site early and it has made the project a lot easier for me.

Later on I ran into the site http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay_cat/3.htm. This web address takes you to a page where it has links to several different parts of the Wright brother’s lives. It looks to me like the web site that I looked so highly upon before that I mentioned above copy and pasted pages at a time from this site. Almost all of the pictures are the same also. I couldn’t fine any citations on either of the web pages. I tend to trust the government site more, but the other site has even more on the brothers. Each offers great information that I would suggest to anyone. Since I have been using The Wright Story since the very beginning, it is hard to decide whether of not I should continue to use it.


The Wight Story. 14 April 2007. Wright Brothers Aeroplane Co. of Dayton, Ohio. <http://wright-brothers.org/History/Wright %20Story/wright%20story.htm>

Centennialofflightadmin@hq.nasa.gov. U.S. Centennial Of Flight Commission. "Wright Brothers." <http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay_cat/3.htm>

1 comment:

onewingedangel said...

Shelly, this really does seem to be a bit of a problem. I checked out both of the websites and my opinion is that the first site that you used seems to be ok. At the very bottom of the page it says “Like all good scholars, we don't pretend to have all the answers, and we're constantly searching for new information or ways to make our exhibits better and more accurate.” This seems a little bit odd and unprofessional but it is honest at least. There should probably be citations on their website or at least author names for who contributed the information, but it seems to me that this site is sort of just a collective biography of the brothers taken form general knowledge and professional insight. I don’t really think this could be plagiarism unless the person is directly quoting from another source, and it is certainly not plagiarism on your part if you cite the source. My advice though would be, if at all possible, if all of the information you are using is on both websites use the Gov. Website. This could be a pain because you would have then fix your in text citation and it would make for a lot of work for you. This is only my opinion though. I would ask Ms. Hanes ASAP about this and maybe she could go over it with you Tuesday when she checks blogs. I hope everything is ok and you don’t have to stress out about fixing it and I hope this helped a little. Good luck!