Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Peer Review

Blog 7: Peer Review of Important figures paper

During the peer review session I worked with Beth and Abby. First I explained to them that I had a hard time with the paper assignment since it was to be on the important figures. Since I am doing the paper solely on the Wright brothers, they are the important figures. But I needed more than them as a theme. I choose to focus on the Wright's accomplishments other than the plane. They read my paper and each had some helpful advice. Beth let me know that I was using too many quotes for a two page paper and that I was quoting things that didn't need quoted. She also told me not to number the works cited page and told me how to indent each line after the first one.

When Abby was looking over my paper she told me to better introduce the brothers at the beginning. She showed me a few places where commas were needed. She showed me a sentence that was too lengthy and worded awkwardly. She also told me how to indent the works cited page and to put <> before and after the website address.

I had a hard time reviewing Abby and Beth's paper. They seemed so perfect to me. I tried to correct a spelling mistake and came to realize Abby had spelled the word right. Although Abby had told us she had misunderstood the assignment, what she had written sounded great. Everything they wrote seemed like they spent a lot of time re-reading their papers to make sure they sounded perfect. I felt bad for not being able to help them more, so I apologized and told them everything sounded great and they already explained their mistakes they knew they had made to me.

1 comment:

onewingedangel said...

Shelly,
I appreciate the compliment on my papers =). I know it is hard to point out mistakes on other peoples papers. I hate doing stuff like that because I feel like I’m telling other people what to do but I am really just trying to help them out. We all make the same writing mistakes at this level and so it makes it hard to correct the mistakes that you make yourself as well. I am a bit of an overachiever when it comes to writing so I do spend a lot of time revising but that doesn’t mean it’s perfect it’s just difficult to pick out mistakes. Your papers are always very well written and I can tell you spend a lot of time on them. Really the only thing you seem to have trouble with is the quoting thing which is perfectly understandable and that’s part of what this class is for so I’m sure you’ll be fine by the end of the semester.